www.Clubhouse4Rent.com  Address:  7032 N. 56th Avenue  Glendale, AZ   85301   Phone:  623-937-9915

 We are conveniently located 1 block North of Glendale Avenue, on the Southwest corner of 56th Ave/Glenn Drive 

 


History of the Glendale Woman’s Club
The Glendale Woman’s Club played an important part in the social and cultural development in Glendale. Started in 1901 as a “Self Culture Club”, the primary aim of the Woman’s Club was self-improvement from a literary standpoint.  They raised money for the first library and city parks.  Established as a temperance town, Glendale was primarily a farming community until 1907 when industry came with the opening of the sugar beet factory.  This provided employment to new settlers, and as the town grew, so did the Self Culture Club.  By 1907, membership had increased to fifty members and it became impossible to continue meeting in homes, so the group began to think of acquiring its own clubhouse. The club had been given a lot which was later sold for $500.00.  This money was used as a nucleus for a fund toward building a clubhouse. The first private donation was  $5.00,  prize money won by a member at the state fair for the best cake baked with sugar from the sugar beet factory. $5 shares of stock were sold and by 1912, money was raised to build one of the first Woman’s Club clubhouses in Arizona

 

The building was erected at 60 North 5th Avenue (now 7032 N. 56th Avenue) on two lots (lot 1 and 2, Block 15 Park Addition to Glendale) donated during a real estate promotion and is one of the best examples of a craftsman-style bungalow in Glendale. The club hired Thornton Fitzhugh, a prominent Arizona architect and the brother of the Glendale Methodist Church architect, to design the building, which the club dedicated in 1913.  The total cost of the building was $2,947. In addition to the woman’s club activities, the building was the largest meeting hall in the community. High school dances, concerts, weddings, church services, town meetings and even funerals were held there. The doors were opened to the Red Cross for sewing, bandage- making. and packing supplies for the troops during both World Wars. The women were instrumental in establishing the city’s art council and historical society. The club members still own and use the building for our meetings and to complete our community service projects.  The club house building was placed on the National Historic Register on July 27, 1989.  

 

Today, we rent the building out to the public for their private family gatherings, weddings, baby showers, church gatherings and business meetings. This rental income is needed to cover the cost of maintaining the building, and provides us with the place to gather to continue our community service giving projects.

GFWC Glendale Woman’s Club, Inc. is a 501(c) 3 non profit, charitable service organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. The Glendale Woman's Club is part of the General Federation of Woman’s Club, the largest woman’s volunteer organization in the world. The Woman’s Club is non-partisan, non-sectarian and non-profit and aims to provide a variety of social events through bi- monthly programs.  

New members are always welcome. For more information :  Email    Membership@clubhouse4rent.com or call Grace at  623-931-7032  


Help Us - Help Them.  We sure can use your help.  We hope you will please consider making a donation to our Club, reminder, as a 501 (c)3 non profit organization, your donations are a valid Tax Deduction.   We have 3 areas in need of support    1) Restore and Repair  Building (fund our clubhouse renovations to insure the building survives)     2)  Betty Hare fund (so members can attend GFWC Conferences)  3) College Scholarship fund  (in partnership with Glendale Community College, this provided local women with financial help who are seeking a higher education to improve their lives).      All contributions are greatly appreciated.                    © 2015       G.F.W.C. Glendale Woman's Club, Inc  All Rights Reserved.